"THIS IS MY COUNTRY. WHAT I WANT TO EXPRESS IS HERE AND I LOVE IT. AMEN" - EMILY CARR (MAY 1934)

Sunday 9 October 2011

100 PAINTINGS IN 100 DAYS #9

Title: The Rose River, The South Canol
Medium: Acrylic
Size: 6x6
Sold
It was nice to paint a different area on the South Canol. I enjoyed the Lapie Lakes area
but needed a change.  Rivers have a lot of movement and you can see the bottom in areas. I have a painting in Yukon Artists At Work of the Magundy River which is a lot bigger (3ft x 4ft) than this one and found the water quite a challenge.  I subscribe to a twice weekly newsletter by Robert Genn and there was a recent discussion about painting big works. It was very helpful information to me because the basic concept of the discussion was to use small paintings to work out your big ones and to translate to scale what is in the small to the big painting and resist filling the areas in with "stuff".  When I am done this project I will have some good reference material for larger works.

No comments:

Post a Comment