"THIS IS MY COUNTRY. WHAT I WANT TO EXPRESS IS HERE AND I LOVE IT. AMEN" - EMILY CARR (MAY 1934)

Wednesday 26 October 2011

100 PAINTINGS IN 100 DAYS #26

Morning Sonnet
Medium:  Oil Pastel
Size:5x7
sold
Quote for the Day:
"Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try!  Dr. Seuss

I often strive for some form of realism in my painting but I love to do these pictures where I just paint what I feel.  Expressionism I guess. The use of oil pastel is like those crayons of the five year old girl.  Pressing and rubbing and blending - it really is so satisfying.
French impressionist, Paul Gauguin said not to assign a fixed  and unchangeable colour  to every object. Use your imagination.  I have always loved Dr.Seuss's unique and quirky imagination - he would say that he looked at life through the wrong end of the telescope and that fantasy is a necessary ingredient of living.

1 comment: