"THIS IS MY COUNTRY. WHAT I WANT TO EXPRESS IS HERE AND I LOVE IT. AMEN" - EMILY CARR (MAY 1934)

Tuesday 4 October 2011

100 PAINTINGS IN 100 DAYS #4

sold
Title:  Evening Light - South Canol
Medium: Acrylic
Size: 8x10
"Some painters transform the sun into a yellow spot, others a yellow spot into the sun"
Pablo Picasso

When a painting has light it comes alive.  I love the light and I realize that the more I mature as an artist the more aware I have become of it.  John Singer-Sargent was a master of light and he classified 5 different kinds:  These being light; midtone; shadow; accents; and reflected light.  I  think it is worthwhile to know how each works in a painting and incorporate them in my paintings.  Only problem is I don't really think about it!  But I think it's like anything else in life in order to do something without thinking  you have to be willing to do it very intentionally, slowly and even mechanically at first until it becomes second nature.  IIt's like when you learned to ride a bike or tie your shoes"



4 comments:

  1. Great job of capturing the South Canol! These last two photos are so lovely. That is one of our favorite drives in the Yukon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kara! Lapie Lake in my favourite camping spot in the Yukon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh, I love this one! I love the brightness of the trees in the foreground ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Erica;
    I am just starting to learn how to really capture the light

    ReplyDelete