"THIS IS MY COUNTRY. WHAT I WANT TO EXPRESS IS HERE AND I LOVE IT. AMEN" - EMILY CARR (MAY 1934)

Tuesday 10 January 2012

Love is the Flower of LIfe



The language of love is centuries old. Shakespeare had lots to say about it and about Roses too.  Red is a very passionate colour so there you have it -maybe I felt like drawing roses because Valentines Day is around the corner. There are many kinds of love (so the ancient greeks told us) and it is nice to celebrate them all.
I like the concept of philia  love which is close friendship or brotherly love. 
I think I am going to paint a few roses in the next little while. 

I drew these roses with Coloured India Ink, and used watercolour pencil to accent the colours on  Hand-Made Tibetan Hemp Paper. The card is a deckled ivory, acid-free,  creative card complete with envelope. It was nice to play with the ink and pencil and not paint a landscape.

"Love is the flower of life, and blossoms unexpectedly and without law, and must be plucked where it is found, and enjoyed for the brief hour of its duration."
D.H. Lawrence

No comments:

Post a Comment