"THIS IS MY COUNTRY. WHAT I WANT TO EXPRESS IS HERE AND I LOVE IT. AMEN" - EMILY CARR (MAY 1934)

Sunday 12 January 2014

Embracing Change As An Artist

Original 4x6 Mixed Media 
(Watercolour, Pastel, Ink)
on Arches Watercolour Paper
"Memories of Summer, Fisheye Lake"

To Sell or Not to Sell ... Is that the question.
as long as it does not translate into to Paint or not to Paint!


The 21st century has been an epoch for artists.  There have never been this many artists in the history of the world!

Makes it pretty competitive to make a buck.

I have been a painter for some 25 years now and it has been a journey.  A process.  In regards to the sell or not sell statement: for many years I was happy to just paint a picture and sell it or paint 10 and sell them.  This worked fine for many years. But ... lo and behold... this formula does not work for me any more.  You may wonder  why on earth wouldn't it and I can tell you that I was quite mystified when it happened too. It's all about motivation... motive.  The why.   I need to know why I am painting now.  What does it mean, what or who is it for , me or them?  I need to be inspired now and it has to have personal meaning and hopefully make the world a better place. It has  been kind of a scary and messy process in the last year because I generally don't negotiate change well.  But that's  what it is. It's not perfect, it is new and it feels weird. When I paint something it's not just to "Sell"  Not to make myself seem shallow in the past but I did not have time to contemplate this.  I literally sold hundreds of paintings, I was prolific... it was amazing because I had three kids,  home schooled them, ran a house, worked and painted lots.  Now I have a lot of time, it's a new chapter.... no kids at home, solitude, unlimited time  and boom! ... I stare at the canvas... I am changing and It is good.  I love to create art but it has to be meaningful, I am finding my way. I must embrace change.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting... I am feeling a bit off with my hobby right now too. Lacking some inspiration, wanting some change, and procrastinating from a big project too! HA! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think once we dive in the process takes over. I sometimes "overthink" it and just need to start.

    ReplyDelete