"THIS IS MY COUNTRY. WHAT I WANT TO EXPRESS IS HERE AND I LOVE IT. AMEN" - EMILY CARR (MAY 1934)

Sunday 10 February 2013

Teaching Art in the Del Van Gorder School

Demo of a Winter Watercolour Scene
 at the local School

The Grade 6,7,8  at the local school spent from 9am to Noon doing an extended art class when I was substitute teaching at the school.   The objective was to complete a watercolour and incorporate the following skills. 
1. Make a simple pencil sketch on an 8x10 piece of watercolour paper
2. Mask in some snow areas to maintain the white of the paper
3. Do  wet on wet washes using two colours, in stages in different areas of paper (sky, water, snow, trees)
4. Work from light to dark 
5. Use some dry brush technique to add detail & emphasis (trees and bushes)

The reference used for this work was a painting I completed at another time.  
I put the original painting in the front of the room and we used it as a general guide 
but I stressed that they could create their own rendition (no need to copy)
Really take the pressure off and allows creative fun!
I love their paintings and the end product was worth all their efforts!

Reference Painting


Student's Paintings (Beautiful!)







2 comments:

  1. sure is! incredible student work! and a wonderful extremely talented artist to guide them. !

    ReplyDelete